Lakshadweep Island is an ideal gateway to spend your time just relaxing and enjoying. So, it attracts a lot of tourists throughout the year.
Being a hotspot of tourism, various safety-related issues can also come into place. So, well! There’s a lot more to learn about its safety norms.
Is Lakshadweep safe for tourists?
The short answer is YES! Lakshadweep Islands just like the other popular destinations of India is an extremely safe place to visit. This is a very tourist-friendly place and is safer than a lot of other places. Just make sure that you follow all of the basic safety precautions that you would already do and you’ll be all safe and secure in any of the islands of Lakshadweep.
Actually, Lakshadweep is a group of about 36 islands which is scattered over 30,000 square miles of the Arabian Sea at the southwest coast of India.
But out of the 36 islands, only ten are inhabited and these are Andrott, Amini, Agatti, Bitra, Chetlat, Kadmat, Kalpeni, Kavaratti, Kiltan, and Minicoy.
Agatti, Kavaratti, and Minicoy Island are the most visited ones.
So, we will only mention here about the safety issues related to the 10 inhabited islands where tourists can visit.
The most preferred time to visit Lakshadweep Island is from October to mid-May as the climate is appealing during this time of the year.
From mid-May to September it is rainy. Though all the resorts in Lakshadweep are open throughout the year, reaching there by ship is difficult during the monsoon.
To be frank, the Lakshadweep Islands can only be reached by ships and flights operated from Kochi.
Is Lakshadweep safe for honeymoon?
Is Lakshadweep safe for honeymoon? This is the most asked query by the couples.
Frankly speaking, the Lakshadweep Islands are extremely safe for honeymoon trips. It is an extremely safe place for married couples at any time of the year.
Lakshadweep being one of the popular tourist places in India you don’t need to worry a lot. It is one of the most hospitable and secure island locations in India.
Moreover, also note that the tourism industry is the most profitable income sector of the Lakshadweep Islands. It brings a huge revenue every year.
And with the rapid increase in the number of visitors, the security challenges also increase. And, the safety factors are of primary concern for the administration.
You will get centers of tourism police and lifeguards at the major beaches of all the major attractions of Lakshadweep.
So, you don’t have much to worry about as you are traveling to one of the safe places in India.
Moreover, the resorts are all located near the Tourism Police and lifeguards stations. You can contact them anytime in case of an emergency.
How safe is Lakshadweep for lone travellers and women?
Frankly speaking, Lakshadweep is extremely safe for lone travellers and women.
Whether you are in a group or you are travelling solo, you don’t have much to worry about as you are traveling to one of the safe places in India.
Every local on the island understands that in the Lakshadweep Islands you cannot run away. These are a group of very small islands, and the crime rate is extremely low.
There are Tourist security and Lakshadweep Police forces that are present at all of the popular tourist islands of Lakshadweep.
The islands are connected with High Frequency interfaced security systems through which the connectivity with the rest of the country can be a reality.
Special forces are also there for enhanced security. Moreover, the Navy and Airforce military forces also have their bases in the major islands like Kavaratti, Minicoy, Androth, Bitra, etc.
It is also to be noted that there has never been any communal violence. Anyone visiting Lakshadweep has never faced any issues whatsoever with regard to safety.
Top Reasons to consider Lakshadweep Islands safe to visit:
- The prominent reason why Lakshadweep is safe because it’s mandatory for any traveller to obtain an entry permit to visit any island in Lakshadweep.
- Proper permits are provided by the authorities after taking full investigation and identity proofs of the visitors.
- Travelers coming for a guided tour can only get there with proper permits under the care and guidance of any government certified tour operator only.
- If anyone is visiting with friends who is a resident of Lakshadweep, then the paperwork is mandatory to enter any island. But still, they have got certain restrictions. And either way, you can’t get there unless you have this done. So, it can be seen that safety issues are always taken with the utmost care.
- Alcohol and other drug-related products are banned from all of the islands in Lakshadweep. So, the crime rate is almost nil here at these islands.
- Presence of well-trained special security forces, tourist police, lifeguards, Navy, and Airforce military forces are there at all the major locations around Lakshadweep.
- For travellers from India, entry is allowed to Agatti, Bangaram, Kadmat, Kavaratti, Kalpeni, and Minicoy islands only. Meanwhile, foreigners can visit only Agatti, Bangaram, and Kadmat.
- There is no local urban government body but only Panchayat Raj institutions in the various villages on the islands. Panchayats are closer to the people since many of the Village Dweep Panchayats are smaller in size and function as small governing units.
- The islands are strategically important and the Southern Naval Command headquartered at Kochi has been ensuring security in and around the area.
- The Indian Navy had taken many steps to increase surveillance and improve the security around the area through capacity building and enhanced naval presence in and around the island territories.
Lakshadweep Travel Safety Tips & Rules To Follow
After you reach Lakshadweep, make sure that you follow all the necessary rules and abide by it strictly. These will secure you a lot:
- Make sure that you have your proper permit to enter Lakshadweep. You have register yourself and apply for the permit 15 days before your trip to Lakshadweep.
- Within 24 hours after you have reached on any of the islands, make sure to report with the permit to the nearest Registration Officer (Station House Officer) who shall enter the date and time of arrival of the holder on the permit. This will surely help you just in case you encounter any security-related issues.
- It is advised that you carry all the necessary items as per your requirements as you won’t find many shops there.
- Throughout the journey, tourists will be assisted by a representative of SPORTS (Society for Promotion of Nature Tourism and Sports). It is always better to ask for his help in tourism-related queries.
- Carry the contact details of the police officials, lifeguards, and of course the hotel staff as well. You will need these just in case of any emergency.
- Kindly note that Airtel and BSNL networks only work at the Lakshadweep Islands. So, carry any of these network’s sim card along with you for proper connectivity.
- Don’t touch the corals. Picking corals from the island is a punishable act as it affects the ecosystem.
- Carrying prohibited drugs and narcotics into Lakshadweep is a punishable offense.
- Do not go out of your island lagoon without permission of the SPORTS authorities and without a proper escort. It can be risky.
- Alcohol is not allowed in Lakshadweep. There is the prohibition of alcohol on all islands except for Bangaram island.
- Swimming or Sunbathing nude is not allowed.
- Do not pluck coconuts from the trees. They are privately owned and plucking coconuts without permission is a punishable offense.
- Don’t throw garbages here and there. Make the use of dustbins.
CONCLUSION: Is Lakshadweep Safe For Tourists?
Yes! Lakshadweep is extremely safe to travel.
Follow the normal rules and regulations, and you will be all safe to go. Nighttime gets dark with only a few lights near the beachside.
So it’s better that you stay at your resort and don’t go very far.
Although it is a safe place, then also contact the officials, guards, or the hotel staff if any need arises.
And, also make sure that you don’t go out of your island lagoon area without permission of the SPORTS authorities and without a proper escort. Or, it can be risky.