Lakshadweep is a group of 36 islands, 12 atolls, 3 coral reefs, and 5 submerged banks located between the Arabian Sea and the Laccadive Sea, off the coast of Kerala, India.
The islands have a total area of 32 sq. km. Only 10 of the Lakshdweep islands named- Agatti, Amini, Andrott, Bitra, Chetlat, Kadmat, Kalpeni, Kavaratti, Kiltan, and Minicoy are inhabited.
Kavaratti is the Administrative Headquarters of the Union Territory of Lakshadweep.
Lakshadweep, the name literally means a ‘hundred thousand islands’ in Malayalam and Sanskrit. It has a few of the most beautiful and exotic islands and beaches of India.
Due to its wonderful beauty, it’s often termed as the “Blue Sea and Unspoiled Beaches”.
Nevertheless, Lakshadeep being such a wonderful possession of nature is loved by thousands of tourists who visit there every year.
Many of the first-time travelers don’t know much about ‘how to reach Lakshadweep’. So, this guide is finely curated for them.
So, without any further ado let’s answer straight to the point…
How to reach Lakshadweep?
|TRAVEL MODE||FROM||TO||JOURNEY TIME|
|By Flight||Cochin International Airport, Kochi||Agatti Airport, Lakshadweep||1 hr 30 mins|
|By Ship||Cochin Port, Kochi||Depends on the island chosen for the journey||12-18 hrs|
|By Bus||No options||No options||X|
|By Train||No options||No options||X|
|By Car||No options||No options||X|
To be frank, the Lakshadweep Islands can only be reached by ships and flights operated from Kochi.
For all tourist purposes, Kochi is the nearest gateway to Lakshadweep.
It is administered as a Union Territory and district of India. So, you will need a permit to visit the Lakshadweep islands which is granted by the government.
So, as soon as you got your permit you are ready to visit.
Want to how to reach there then, read it below.
★ REACH BY FLIGHT
The Nearest airport to reach Lakshadweep is Cochin International Airport located in Kochi, Kerala. Regular flights are operated six days a week from Kochi to Agatti Airport located in Agatti Island of Lakshadweep.
Time & Distance:
The air distance from Kochi, Kerala to Agatti Island, Lakshadweep is only about 300 km. And, it takes between 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours for the flight journey.
★ REACH BY SHIP
The nearest seaport to reach Lakshadweep is Cochin Port located in Kochi, Kerala. Various ships are operated from Kochi to the various islands of Lakshadweep as per requirements.
Time & Distance:
The sea route distance from Kochi, Kerala to the Lakshadweep Islands is anywhere more than 300 km. And, it takes between 12 to 18 hours for the ship journey to complete.
★ REACH BY BUS
No Road Connectivity To Lakshadweep:
As Lakshadweep is a group of islands, there isn’t any road connectivity to reach there. You need to opt for traveling by air or ship.
No Road Connectivity Within Lakshadweep:
There is no road connectivity within Lakshadweep as well. One of the ways to travel in and around the Lakshadweep Islands is by boats, ferries, or ships. Boats, ferries, and ships can be used for getting around from one island to another. However, there are also helicopter transfer services available from Agatti Island, Bangaram Island, and Kadmat Island.
★ REACH BY TRAIN
No Train Connectivity To Lakshadweep:
There isn’t any railway line connectivity to reach there. You need to opt for traveling by air or ship.
No Train Connectivity Within Lakshadweep:
There is no railway line connectivity within Lakshadweep as well. You will need to travel by boats, ferries, or ships from one island to another. Or, you can also opt for helicopter transportation services available from Agatti Island, Bangaram Island, and Kadmat Island.
★ REACH BY CAR
No Available Road Transportation Facilities To Lakshadweep:
There isn’t any car/ taxi connectivity to reach there. You need to opt for traveling by air or ship.
No Available Car/ Taxi Facilities Within Lakshadweep:
There is no Cab/ Taxi available and there aren’t many transportation facilities available to travel around, once you have reached the island. The reason being limited road connectivity. And in some islands, there is no road connectivity at all. The best option to travel around the island is to hire a bicycle or by foot.
Kindly note that the best option to reach Lakshadweep is from Kochi (also known as Cochin). Kochi is a city located in the southwest coast of India’s Kerala state. It is the nearest city to the Lakshadweep Islands.
How to reach Lakshadweep from Kochi, Kerala?
Do’s & Don’ts:
After you reach Lakshadweep, make sure that you follow all the necessary rules and abide by it strictly:
- Make sure that you have applied for the permit 15 days before planning your trip to Lakshadweep. Or, you can ask your tour operator who can instantly arrange a permit within 2-3 days for tourists to visit.
- Within 24 hours after you have reached on any of the islands, make sure to report with the permit to the nearest Registration Officer (Station House Officer) who shall enter the date and time of arrival of the holder on the permit.
- Remember that only a few tourists are allowed to enter Lakshadweep at a time. So, make sure that you book your trip in advance.
- It is advised that you carry all the necessary items as per your requirements as you won’t find many shops there.
- Throughout the journey, tourists will be assisted by a representative of SPORTS (Society for Promotion of Nature Tourism and Sports). It is always better to ask for his help in tourism-related queries.
- Foreign Tourists are only issued with entry permit rules after approval by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- Don’t touch the corals. Picking corals from the island is a punishable act as it affects the ecosystem.
- Carrying prohibited drugs and narcotics into Lakshadweep is a punishable offense.
- Do not go out of your island lagoon without permission of the SPORTS authorities and without a proper escort. It can be risky.
- Alcohol is not allowed in Lakshadweep. There is the prohibition of alcohol on all islands except for Bangaram island.
- Swimming or Sunbathing nude is not allowed.
- Do not pluck coconuts from the trees. They are privately owned and plucking coconuts without permission is a punishable offense.
- Don’t throw garbages here and there. Make the use of dustbins.
Famous F.A.Q’s Answered:
Do we need permission to visit Lakshadweep?
Yes, Laskshadweep is an Union Teritorry and proper permit is required in order to visit there.
How to get permit to enter Lakshadweep?
For both Indians and Foreigners, in order to get a permit proper information like name, address, date, and place of birth is required.
For Indians, valid Pan card, Adhar Card along with other neccesary documents will be required for the permit. And for Foreigners, passport and visa details are required.
What is the best time to visit Lakshadweep?
Although all the resorts in Lakshadweep remains open throughout the year but, the very best time to visit Lakshadweep is after the monsoon season from October to May.
Is alcohol available in Lakshadweep?
Lakshadweep is the only union territory that bans the sale and consumption of alcohol. Alcohol is strictly prohibitied in Lakshadweep. There is the ban of alcohol on all islands except for Bangaram Island.
Is it safe to visit Lakshadweep?
Yes! Lakshadweep is extremely safe to travel. Just make sure that you don’t go out of your island lagoon without permission of the SPORTS authorities and without a proper escort. It can be risky.
What is Lakshadweep famous for?
Lakshadweep is famous for its rich marine life, famous beach destinations of India, crystal-clear blue waters, and for the view of the coral reefs.
Is Lakshadweep safe for honeymoon?
Yes! Lakshadweep is one of the most popular honeymoon destinations of all times. However, tourists are allowed to visit only a few islands in Lakshadweep namely- Agatti, Kadmat, Kalpeni, Kavaratti, Minicoy, Bangaram and Thinnakara. A permit is required to visit each of the islands.
Which are the most popular islands in Lakshadweep?
The most popular islands in Lakshadweep are Kadmat, Thinnakara, and Bangaram. Airstrip is there in Agatti island only. From Agatti boats are available to Kavaratti and Kadmat during fair season from October to May. Helicopter transfer is available from Agatti to Kavaratti during monsoon season subjected to availability of helicopter.