Alleppey is well-famous because of its lagoons, beaches, and canals. As such, this place is mostly popular for its houseboat cruises along the Kerala backwaters.
In Alleppey (Alappuzha) you can see the backwater canals, beaches, paddy fields, and lagoon surrounding the city.
This is the place of scenic backwaters with the houseboats in it, coconut groves, and boat races that can be seen all around.
Due to its mesmerizing beauty all around, it is also called the ‘Venetian Capital of Kerala’ or ‘Venice of the East’
Isn’t all this sounding perfect for a vacation? If you just answered a Yes then, you should perfectly plan a holiday in the houseboats of Alleppey, Kerala.
Well, this post right here is the best one for you. It will perfectly guide you, “How to find the best houseboats in Alleppey?”
Read this detailed post from start to end and I bet that you will making your houseboat booking confirmed and will be ready for your house \boat experience.
What you get here
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
- What actually is a houseboat in Alleppey?
- How to choose the best houseboats in Alleppey?
- Types of houseboats to choose for in Alleppey
- Things to know about the Alleppey houseboats
- These are the best houseboats in Alleppey
- How many houseboats are there in Alleppey?
- What is the overall cost of houseboats in Alleppey?
- So, Is it worth staying in a houseboat in Alleppey?
What actually is a houseboat in Alleppey?
The Alleppey houseboats are actually huge modified boats that provide a wonderful facility to stay inside it with all types of modern amenities like bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, balcony, water supply, lighting, dining room, beautiful furniture, etc.
The Kerala type houseboats can be seen all around Alleppey and these have certain features, which make them unique in design and style.
Based on the type of houseboat you choose for, the size and structure of the framework of the houseboat basically vary a lot.
If you see at the size, a traditional style houseboat is about 60 to 70 feet long and about 13 to 15 feet wide at the beam. While the modern-looking ones and a few of the luxurious houseboats have a length of more than 80 feet and about 20 feet in width.
Depending on the boat type the number of rooms may be one, two, or three. Both the design and the level of comfort and luxury differs depending on the boat type.
The main goal of these houseboats is to provide a wonderful and awesome trip while providing the tourists a comfortable stay inside the boathouse while showcasing the beautiful attractions of Kerala as the boat sails over the vast network of majestic backwaters of Alleppey.
In very simple words, these are one of the most prominent tourists attraction in the Backwaters of Kerala, mostly in Alleppey. It is now a tourist attraction and a popular mode to explore the magnificence of the backwaters.
See these activities in Alleppey
How to choose the best houseboats in Alleppey?
We all know that Alleppey is famous for its backwaters and the sailing houseboats that take to an all-new experience through the beautiful backwaters of Kerala.
Houseboats are actually the main attraction in Alleppey.
Remember one thing, that if you want to book a houseboat, book at least an overnight trip in the houseboat and you will get the best out of it.
The boat takes you for all the sightseeing through the pristine backwaters of Kerala and it’s really a gem like an experience.
So, how actually to choose the best houseboat?
- Most houseboat operators and around 1,000 houseboats are based therein Allepey. So, you have so many options.
- If you want a pocket-friendly boat tour during the day time then choose the Shikara (small houseboat). This is a smaller and affordable way to cruise the backwaters of Alleppey. This type of boats doesn’t have any bedroom, kitchen in it. It will just have a sitting area. The best part is that it can go deeper into the narrow canals, unlike the houseboat.
- If you aim to stay overnight with all the hotel-like facilities inside a boat then it’s always better to choose a houseboat.
- Choose the Deluxe houseboats, if you want to stay overnight in a budget-friendly basic model of boats with beautiful interiors.
- Choose the Premium houseboats, if you want to stay overnight in a bit costly, completely glass-covered, aesthetic, and premium boat with awesome facilities.
- Choose the Luxury houseboats, if you want a overnight stay in very glamorous interiors, royal, and sophisticated resorts-like boat with all the luxury facilities.
- Choose if you want to travel in a Shared houseboat or a Private houseboat in any of the cases mentioned above.
- In a private houseboat, you have to book the entire boat for yourself and your family.
- In a shared houseboat, you will share the entire boat with 2 or more families.
So, how to book the best houseboat?
- Booking a houseboat in Alleppey online is easy. You can very easily book it in advance.
- You can use Viator.com (a Tripadvisor Company) to book your Alleppey houseboat. They provide the Lowest price guarantee along with a Reserve now & pay later policy. You can reserve your spot and can pay any time you want before two days of your trip if you book from Viator. (CLICK HERE to book from Viator.com)
- My recommendation is to search the best, check the reviews, and book your houseboat from Booking.com. They have made it easier for everyone to experience the best houseboat possible with very few cancellation rates and awesome reviews. (CLICK HERE to book from Booking.com)
- You can also try booking from GetYourGuide.com. They offer free cancellation up to 24 hours before the activity starts. In case, you find a better deal, you can cancel it later. (CLICK HERE to book from GetYourGuide)
- Make sure you book your houseboat in advance because it might not be available when you want to book on the spot.
- The price of the houseboats also increases with the availability and demand of the boats. So, it’s better that you pre-book your houseboat trip in advance.
- If in case you want to book on spot, it’s better you visit the houseboat starting point/boarding point in Alleppey. The famous boat boarding points are Alleppey finishing point, Pallathuruthy Boarding point, and Punnamada Boat Jetty.
- Alleppey finishing point is the most crowded houseboat boarding point in Alleppey. You will find here many houseboats waiting for you to be booked. This is the nearest starting point from Alleppey Town, bus stand, and railway station.
- In Alleppey, there are other small boarding points also. If you are staying somewhere nearby the lake resorts you can easily start the houseboat cruise from there itself. The individual resorts have their own private boat jetty.
- Moreover, it is also to be noted that a few houseboat companies also offer pickup and drop from private hotels/resorts jetty is you say them, without any additional cost for sure.
Types of houseboats to choose for in Alleppey
Think beforehand, what type of experience you actually need!
Houseboats in Kerala are the major attractions. And above all, the houseboats of Alleppey are the ones that attract the majority of the tourists.
Tourists are often confused about the type of houseboats to choose for.
Houseboats in Alleppey must always be in your bucket list. So it’s probable that you understand what type of houseboat to choose for on your trip.
Well, don’t worry so much. I have covered it all here.
As per the cost, there are 3 types of houseboats:
- Budget-range Houseboats: These are small houseboats with just one room and minimal decor. Price Rs. 3000 approx. per night.
- Mid-range Houseboats: These are decent houseboats with fairly awesome facilities. These are houseboats with two or more modern bathrooms with attached bedrooms. Price Rs. 6000 approx. per night.
- High-End Houseboats: These are the premium and luxury houseboats that will give you all the modern facilities you need for a wonderful, premium, and luxury trip in the Alleppey backwaters. Price can go up to Rs. 40,000 per night based on the type of luxury and houseboat experience.
As per the size of the boat, there are 3 types of houseboats:
- Small Houseboats: It has a single-family kitchen, a single dining table, a nice bedroom, a bathroom, a small balcony, and a small sitting area. Suitable for a maximum of 2 to 3 people.
- Large Houseboats: These are usually the premium and luxury houseboat types. It has a huge kitchen hall, large dining hall, a big shared sitting area, luxurious and premium bedrooms with attached bathrooms, spa, restaurants, bars, a big front-cabin, a spacious upper deck, etc. Suitable for a maximum of 12 to 14 people.
As per the luxury, there are 3 types of houseboats:
- Deluxe Houseboats: It is a budget-friendly houseboat with A/C rooms. The A/C will be work only from 9 pm to the next morning at 6 am.
- Premium Houseboats: Premium shared houseboats offer you better quality boats with an upper deck, glass-covered, cabin, Full-time AC in the bedrooms, and with front cabin and upper deck.
- Luxury Houseboats: The houseboat has everything that guests need for a successful business meeting and a relaxing stay. You get all from beauty and spa facilities, restaurants and bars, balcony, indoor games, to luxurious Balcony Terrace and sitting area.
As per privacy, there are 2 types of houseboats:
- Private Houseboats: This is only a one-bedroom houseboat. It can occupy a maximum of 2 people at one time. In some cases, only 1 extra adult can be accommodated if needed with extra charges, and children below the age of 5 are complimentary. The whole boat is yours from check-in to check-out.
- Shared Houseboats: These are somewhat low budget houseboats. It is a big houseboat with two or more bedrooms. The houseboat is given as a sharing basis, each couple will get separate rooms with attached bathroom in one houseboat. They can share a common lobby, dining area, top floor, sun deck, etc.
Things to know about the Alleppey houseboats
What about a houseboat trip?
- The majority of houseboats are available in Alleppey and these are mostly hired from Alleppey. Alleppey is the gateway to the backwaters between Kochi and Kollam.
- The houseboats usually provide a round trip itinerary through the core backwater area in and around Alleppey. However, it’s also possible to do one-way trips, such as from Alleppey to Kottayam, Alleppey to Kumarakom, etc.
- These houseboats will take on a tour from Alleppey to locations like Kumarakom, Kottayam, and Alumkadavu (near Kollam) through the vast networks of beautiful backwaters.
- A guide is not necessary if you go on an overnight houseboat trip because the cruise is done mainly to watch and enjoy the backwaters and village areas of Alleppey.
- So, don’t book a guide as it is useless and save your money. Hiring just the boat is enough. It will do the pick-up from the port berth and leave you at the defined destination after the trip is over.
The houseboat cruise routines:
- 11 am is actually the check-in time.
- All houseboats in Kerala (Alleppey) usually keeps their houseboat ready by 11.30 am for check-in. After the guests had checked-in, the cruise will start at 12 noon.
- The speed of the houseboats are usually slow and very sightseeing-friendly. The boats sail through the backwaters at a maximum speed of 9-11 kilometer per hour.
- Around 1-2 pm, houseboats will reach amidst the backwaters. The boat will stop for a while and this is the time when the guests and staff will have lunch.
- The lunch includes the typical Kerala cuisine including the fresh catches from the backwaters.
- The houseboat ends its journey at around 5.30 pm. As per govt. regulations, the houseboats are not allowed to move from 5:30 pm to morning to allow the fishermen to work. So, you can check-out at around 6 pm after that if you haven’t booked an overnight trip.
- If you have booked an overnight stay, you can stay inside the boat. Dinner will be provided there. Although, after 5:30 pm the boat will not move anymore. It will stay near the berth just stable and floating on the water.
- The next day all the houseboats give minimum an hour ride before the check-out time of 9 am for those who have stayed overnight.
The best Alleppey houseboat cruise routes:
- Alleppey Round Trip: It usually takes you through a round-trip around the Alleppey backwaters. The major attractions that fall on the route are Karumadi kuttan, Kanjipadam lake, Champakulam church, Nedumudimkottaram Bhagavathi temple, Munnathumugham, and Vattakayal.
- Alleppey to Kuttanad: This route is famous to witness the pristine paddy fields and for experiencing the beautiful village life around Thottappally, Nudmudy, and Thakazhi.
- Alleppey to Thottapally: In this route, you will be observing the activities of rural life and the pristine stretch of backwaters. The houseboat will cruise through Punnamada Lake, Pallathuruthi, Kanjipadam, Karumadikuttan, and you will have an overnight stay at Thottapalli.
- Alleppey to Kumarakom: This route is the most popular one. Pathiramanal islands and the Kumarakom bird sanctuary are the noteworthy attractions that fall on this route. You will witness the pristine view of the Vembanad Lake and the farmlands nearby. Here, the backwater canals become much wider as you’ll cross the large expanse of the lake.
- Alleppey to Kollam: You will witness the natural beauty of the Pamba river, Kayamkulam Kayal, Kavalackal Village, Thrikunnapuzha Coir Village, Pallana Kumarakodi, and Ashtamudi lakes.
- Alleppey to Alumkadavu: This is the lengthiest houseboat cruise route in Kerala. It is dotted with scenic locations and breath-taking views. You will cover a large portion of Kerala’s backwater stretches if you go for this backwater route. It is ideal for weekend backwater cruises.
Find the best houseboats in Alleppey at affordable rates. With no booking fees & you get the last minute availability.
These are the best houseboats in Alleppey
I have researched a lot, and I do recommend these as the best houseboats in Alleppey.
See the reviews and of course the beautiful pics of the houseboats mentioned below and book your stay accordingly.
Below is the list of the Top 7 best houseboats in Alleppey. Check these out:
- Xandari Riverscapes Houseboat: This is one of the best houseboats in Alleppey. Xandari Riverscapes are a fleet of houseboats which sails along Vembanad Lake and in the backwaters of Alleppey. The houseboats are docked near Pallathuruthy Bridge. You will have an overall magnificent stay at the houseboat of Xandari. It is a very comfortable boat on the quiet backwaters of Alleppey.
- Soma Hamsam Houseboat: This one is yet another excellent houseboat that will take you through the pristine backwaters of Alleppey. You will get a deluxe seating area, private bedrooms with a flat-screen TV, a private bathroom with free toiletries and a shower, and many more inside the boathouse. The experience of travelling will be just unforgettable with this houseboat.
- Harmony Houseboat: This one is a very awesome houseboat. Harmony Houseboats offers accommodation with a restaurant, a shared lounge, and room service for your convenience. It’s a perfect value for money with neat and clean rooms and good food.
- Beach Paradise Day Cruise Houseboat: This one is another awesome houseboat. The boat is spacious with a big dining room and living rooms. Both Deluxe and Premium room types are available here. Tourists also have the option to choose between Single Beds and Double Beds private room with deluxe or premium facility.
- Indiavacationz Houseboats: This one is a very well-decorated resort-like luxurious houseboat. Indiavacationz Houseboats features air-conditioned rooms with free WiFi throughout the boat. Guests can enjoy the on-site restaurant. You will surely have an amazing and comfortable houseboat experience with this well-designed houseboat. Couples particularly loves this boat a lot.
- Houseboat Royal River: This one is yet another awesome, well-structured, and well-designed houseboat in Alleppey. It has a spacious dining room, kitchen, huge sitting area. And moreover, the rooms are full A/c. It will literally give your land like feeling over the water.
- Abad Premium Houseboat: This houseboat will give you a peaceful and relaxing experience. It’s a very interesting cruise away from all the hustle and bustle of everyday day life. Along with a wonderful and very helpful crew, good food, very nice bedroom this houseboat will surely make your trip awesome.
How many houseboats are there in Alleppey?
In Kerala, you will find the majority of the houseboats in the berth points of Allepey.
The majority of houseboats are hired from Alleppey. There are more than 1,000 houseboats in Alleppey.
Locals own their own private houseboats, Hotels and Resorts have their own which they rent for an overnight trip to the tourists.
There are also government houseboats for easy travels through the backwaters.
You will find many houseboat operators in Allepey and around 1,000 houseboats are based there. It’s all because the houseboats in the backwaters are the major mode of transport in and around Alleppey.
Alleppey and Kumarakom are the most popular backwater destinations in Kerala. You will find the majority of the houseboats here.
What is the overall cost of houseboats in Alleppey?
Cost of Houseboats as per the number of people with 1/2 bedrooms in a Deluxe houseboat:
|Type||Houseboat||Trip||Average Minimum Cost of Hire|
|2 Adults & 1 Private Bedroom||Deluxe Houseboat||1 Day trip||Rs. 7,500|
|4 Adults & 2 Private Bedroom||Deluxe Houseboat||1 Day trip||Rs. 9,000|
|2 Adults & 1 Private Bedroom||Deluxe Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs. 7,000|
|4 Adults & 2 Private Bedroom||Deluxe Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs. 12,000|
Cost of Houseboats as per the number of bedrooms along with the cost of hiring a Deluxe houseboat:
|Type||Houseboat||Trip||Average Minimum Cost of Hire|
|1 Private Bedroom Houseboat||Deluxe Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs. 7,500|
|2 Private Bedroom Houseboat||Deluxe Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs 9,500|
|3 Private Bedroom Houseboat||Deluxe Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs. 16,000|
|4 Private Bedroom Houseboat||Deluxe Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs. 20,000|
|5 Private Bedroom Houseboat||Deluxe Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs. 23,000|
Cost of Houseboats as per the number of bedrooms along with the cost of hiring a Premium houseboat:
|Type||Houseboat||Trip||Average Minimum Cost of Hire|
|1 Private Bedroom Houseboat||Premium Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs. 9,000|
|2 Private Bedroom Houseboat||Premium Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs 12,000|
|3 Private Bedroom Houseboat||Premium Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs. 19,000|
|4 Private Bedroom Houseboat||Premium Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs. 25,000|
|5 Private Bedroom Houseboat||Premium Houseboat||22 hours Overnight trip||Rs. 26,000|
Cost for a short day trip & Other charges:
|Type||Houseboat||Trip||Average Minimum Cost of Hire|
|1 bedroom||Deluxe Houseboat||3 hours day trip||Rs. 3,500|
|1 bedroom||Deluxe Houseboat||6 hours day trip||Rs. 4,000|
|Lunch Cost (if additional)||Deluxe Houseboat||Rs. 400 per person|
|Extra person cost (if any)||Deluxe Houseboat||Rs. 700 per person|
So, Is it worth staying in a houseboat in Alleppey?
Yes, definitely! Staying in a houseboat in Alleppey is totally worth the cost, enjoyment, and luxury feeling. You will feel like staying away from the hustles and bustle of daily life amidst the calm and pristine backwaters of Alleppey.
Going for a day cruise is a much better option and budget-friendly. Staying overnight (22 hours houseboat trip) can be a bit expensive compared to a day cruise, but it’s worth the money considering your awesome stay.
Think it like this way. Everyone can book a hotel or a resort but very rarely you can book a houseboat that sails and takes you through the pristine backwaters surrounding the natural sightseeing.
You got it, right? You will feel it rare and unique and also awesome at the same time.
This is also the best way to make love happen with your partner. That’s literally why the majority of the couples love staying in the houseboat of Alleppey.
Just feel that! There will be water all around the calmly floating houseboat in Alleppey. And you will be feeling the freshness in the air and the company of either your life partner or the hobby you enjoy pursuing alone.
It’s totally worth staying in the houseboats in Alleppey. It will surely be a unique, photogenic, and memorable experience.
All good luck for your houseboat trip. Just. Just. Just go book one, and enjoy the pristine backwaters of Alleppey.