Well! Which is the best place? Is it Bangalore or Chennai?
This one is a very often asked query among the people. Wait! You are at the right place. I will answer it to you.
A Bangalore vs. Chennai comparison isn’t an easy one.
While Bangalore is the capital of Karnataka, on the other hand, Chennai is the capital of Tamil Nadu.
Both of these places have an important role to play.
It’s such that Karnataka can’t be imagined without Bangalore whereas, Tamil Nadu can’t be imagines without Chennai.
That is why I have devised the following data to help you decide and choose the best option for yourself.
This post will in fact answer your query. So, keep reading!
Here’s what you will get:
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
- Bangalore & Chennai: Destination Summary
- Bangalore or Chennai? – The Weather & Climate
- Bangalore or Chennai – Which is bigger?
- Bangalore vs. Chennai in terms of safety
- Attractions In Bangalore & Chennai
- Activities In Bangalore & Chennai
- Nightlife In Bangalore & Chennai
- Shopping In Bangalore & Chennai
- Bangalore vs. Chennai: A Quick Comparison
- Which one is a good place to live in: Chennai or Bangalore?
- CONCLUSION: Bangalore or Chennai: Which is the overall best place?
Bangalore & Chennai: Destination Summary
Here’s the destination synopsis that can help you a lot!
- Bangalore: Southeast of the South Indian state of Karnataka
- Chennai: Southeast coast of India and in the northeast corner of Tamil Nadu.
- Bangalore: This city is recognized as one of the biggest IT hubs in India. It is the nation’s leading Information technology exporter. It is home to some of the world-famous software industries, aerospace, telecommunications, aerospace, and many other heavy industries.
- Chennai: The city is divided on the basis of composition into four major parts: North, Central, South, and West. North Chennai is primarily an industrial area. Central Chennai is a commercial downtown area. South Chennai and West Chennai are residential and commercial areas along with a large number of IT and financial companies.
Best Time To Visit:
- Bangalore: October to February (Winter Season)
- Chennai: November to February (Winter Season)
How to reach:
- Bangalore: There are four major railway stations in Bangalore: Bangalore City Railway Station, Bangalore Cantonment Railway Station, Yesvantpur Junction Railway Station, and Krishnarajapuram Railway Station. And, there is only one airport in Bangalore which is Kempegowda International Airport. Both domestic and international flights operate from this airport.
- Chennai: There are four major railway stations in Chennai: Chennai Central Railway Station, Chennai Egmore Railway Station, Chennai Beach Railway Station, and Tambaram Railway Station. And, there is only one airport in Chennai which is Chennai International Airport. Both domestic and international flights operate from this airport.
Cost of travelling:
- Bangalore: The average cost for a budget trip is Rs. 900 per person for a day. While a luxury trip can cost you around Rs. 4,800 per person for a day.
- Chennai: The average cost for a budget trip is Rs. 1,000 per person for a day. While a luxury trip can cost you around Rs. 7,000 per person for a day.
- Bangalore: BMTC buses, Metro, taxis, auto-rickshaws, KSRTC and private buses, cabs, rented bikes, etc.
- Chennai: Bus, taxi, auto-rickshaws, cabs, mini private bus, and metro.
Bangalore or Chennai? – The Weather & Climate
Weather and climate information is a must if you want to explore the city. Your comfort level is highly determined by the weather conditions.
While there’s a big difference between the weather and climate-related comfort conditions between these two cities.
Here it is. Have a read!
Bangalore – Cool & Pleasant:
Bangalore follows relatively cool and comfortable weather throughout the year as compared to the other South Indian places. It has distinct wet and dry seasons.
Due to its high elevation, Bangalore usually enjoys a more moderate climate throughout the year. However, sometimes in rare scenarios, occasional heat waves can make summers somewhat uncomfortable.
In simple, if you see the coolest month is January with an average low temperature of 15°C and the hottest month is April with an average high temperature of 35°C.
In the winter temperatures rarely drop below 14°C, and in summer the temperatures rarely exceed 36°C.
Bangalore receives somewhat heavy rainfall during September, October, and August. These are Bangalore’s wettest months of the year.
Chennai – Hot & Humid:
Chennai has a dry hot and humid type of climate. The days are blazing hot during the summers.
Also being located in a coastal area, Chennai remains mostly hot during the day time because the land absorbs and radiates heat much faster than the nearby sea.
The months of May and June are the hottest months of the year with maximum temperatures around 35–40 °C.
In the other case, January is the coolest month of the year with minimum temperatures of 23°C at night time and with about 30°C in the day time.
Chennai is susceptible to heavy downpours and cyclones between the months of July and September. And, it is not the best time to visit Chennai.
Bangalore or Chennai – Which is bigger?
Bangalore is a megacity that has an area of about 709 sq. km. Whereas, Chennai has an area of about 426 sq. km.
In the other case, if you see, Bangalore has a population of about 8.5 million people and, Chennai has a population of about 7.9 million people.
The population data is collected as per the 2011 census.
And, the census data reveals that both cities have about the same population density on an average.
Chennai city has much of the open areas like beaches, broad roads, and public places and it seems that Chennai is bigger. But in reality, Chennai is smaller than Bangalore.
The main reason is that Chennai is well-planned to accumulate a huge population within a small compact area.
On the other hand, Bangalore has all of its infrastructure and public apartments well-spread over the whole city so it’s equally distributed everywhere.
So, the final answer is that Bangalore with 709 sq km area is much bigger than Chennai with 426 sq km.
Bangalore vs. Chennai in terms of safety
For the most part, both locations are safe for a traveller who is alert and wary.
Bangalore and Chennai are a pretty favourite and well-popular cities in India. So they both have large crowds, high population, traffic, and a lot.
They do also have their particular red-light districts that attract people from all walks of life.
The development in Bangalore is mainly due to higher job opportunities, advanced and modern infrastructure, and
better living standards. With that comes, the question of safety. Especially safety for women.
So, Bangalore is a relatively safe Indian city and organized crime is almost non-existent. Moreover, in the presence of proper police security and women’s safety norms, the city is resulting in better treatment of women. The only thing is that you need to be careful of pickpockets in the heavily crowded areas.
On the other hand, Chennai is also the safest metro city after Bangalore as per the Mercer’s Quality of Living survey of 2019. This is also a relatively safe destination that experiences less crime than most other major Indian cities. Just be careful of the pickpockets in the heavily crowded areas.
Attractions In Bangalore & Chennai
Be it Bangalore or Chennai, both are diverse and unique in what they provide and will probably have you tearing the hair off your head in confusion.
This is why I have provided a quick Bangalore vs Phuket analysis to help you figure out what attractions and activities you might find where. Check this out!
Attractions in Bangalore:
Some of the most awesome attractions in Bangalore are:
- Smile! Yes, Smile! You are at the IT Hub of India. Bangalore is known as the Silicon Valley of India because of its position as the nation’s leading IT exporter.
- Explore Bangalore’s famous Lalbagh Botanical Garden. It is a nationally and internationally renowned center for botanical artwork, the scientific study of plants, and also conservation of plants.
- Tour the Bangalore Palace It is full of rich history and never-ending charm.
- Visit a Religious Site like the famous ISKON Hindu Temple, Sri Doddabasavanna Temple, Saint Mary’s Basilica, and many more. Bangalore is known for its 1000+ temples and various religious sites.
- Go watch the Indian classical dance at Nrityagram Dance Village at Hesaraghatta. There is a well-renowned residential dance school that trains students in Indian classical dances like Bharatanatyam, Odissi, Kuchipudi, Kathak, Mohiniattam, and Manipuri. Go there and feel the art and culture.
- Visit the Chinnaswamy Stadium. This is one of the most famous and well-known cricket stadium in India.
- How can one forget snow in Bangalore? Visit the Snow city located on the Jayamahal Main Road. Here’s inside you will get the -5°C temperature and icy adventure to play with snow.
- Visit Bannerghatta National Park. Here you can get a quick peek into the Bangalore Forest Division, an aquarium, a zoo, Children’s park, Crocodile Farm, Snake Park, and Prehistoric Animals’ Park.
Attractions in Chennai:
Some of the most awesome attractions in Chennai are:
- Visit the Marina Beach. It is the most famous and the most jam-packed beaches in India. It’s Chennai’s proud.
- ‘Semmozhi Poonga Park’ is a beautiful 20-acres park that offers the view of scenic landscapes and lush green gardens. Some of the trees present here are over 100 years old. This place is like nature’s land amidst the urban landscapes of Chennai.
- Chennai’s economic attractions are the automobile, software services, medical tourism, hardware manufacturing, and financial services. Other important industries include petrochemicals, textiles, and apparel ones. The Chennai Port and Ennore Port contribute greatly to its economic importance.
- Chennai is world-famous for the Pongal festival. This is a four-day festival celebrated every year between January 14 to 17. It is a harvest festival dedicated to Tamil Nadu, the Sun God, and is similar to Thanksgiving.
- Go for a pilgrimage visit to the famous temples in Chennai like the Kapaleeswarar Temple, Marundheeswarar Temple, Ekambareswarar Temple, Parthasarathy Temple, Sri Vadapalani Andavar Temple, and many more. That’s not all! There are more than 320 well-known temples in Chennai.
- Visit here to have the real glimpses of Bharatanatyam. Bharatanatyam is one of India’s folk dances that originated from Tamil Nadu. It is one of the oldest dance forms of India.
- Chennai is also known as a foodie’s paradise. It’s the land of South Indian Cuisine. The variety of food you get in the city is simply mind-blowing. Whether you are a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian, the choice of food available is amazing.
Activities In Bangalore & Chennai
Famous Activities to do in Bangalore:
- Trekking: There are two trekking sports near Bangalore: Savandurga Hill & Nandi Hills. Savandurga is among the largest monolith hills in Asia and it is best for rock climbers, cave explorers, and adventurers. While Nandi Hills is best If you love trekking in the company of crowds.
- Dirt-Biking: There is a couple of dirt bike tracks that have all the modern biking facilities. Places like the Big Rock Motopark in Shapur, Dirt Mania Outdoor Adventure are the best dirt-biking spots in Bangalore.
- River-rafting: Here in Bangalore you will find many adventure sports companies that organize river rafting sessions in and around Bangalore. Dandeli in the north of Karnataka is one of the best places for river rafting.
- Parasailing: At Jakkur in Bangalore, Karnataka you can go for parasailing. In Bangalore, there are three types of parasailing activities available and these are the tow vehicle parasailing, winch boat parasailing, and platform parasailing. A parasailing ride can last for around 20-30 minutes.
Famous Activities to do in Chennai:
- Scuba-diving: Chennai’s gorgeous coastline is a great spot for scuba diving. Beaches like the Covelong Beach in Chennai are known for scuba-diving.
- Parasailing: You can enjoy parasailing at the Marina and Cove beaches of Chennai. This is the most adventurous activity here.
- Surfing: Head over to Covelong beach to enjoy surfing. Surfing the tides at the Covelong beach is a lot of fun and Chennai is one of the few places where you can enjoy it in India.
- Wildlife Safaris & Tours: You can head over to places like Guindy National Park, Snake Parks, Madras Crocodile Park, and Amirthi Zoological Park.
- Paramotoring: You can also enjoy paramotoring at Palavakkam in Chennai and feel the adrenaline rush and the wind in your face.
Nightlife In Bangalore & Chennai
Bangalore vs Chennai nightlife – which one should you pick?
If you’re a nightcrawler looking for the best experiences in the dark, then both the cities don’t have much on the roads.
You must visit the pubs, discos, restaurants, and nightclubs if you want to have a nightlife experience.
Nightlife in Bangalore:
Parts of Bangalore become a pub house destination and enjoy stupendous nightlife scenarios.
You will be spellbound with its vivacious nightlife.
Here, you can find various night pubs and night clubs that open soon after sundown.
These places offer the best dance floors for you to groove on. These are the best places to keep you entertained until a little past midnight.
These places remain open till the early 2 am. You can have some drinks, go to the disco, dance around, stay late night in restaurants and pubs.
Bangalore has many of the pubs that operate best at night time till midnight. These are the places for beer lovers.
Nightlife in Bangalore is average till 11:30 pm but after that, it becomes pretty awesome.
It’s the only time you get empty roads to drive peacefully. The city has people from different corners of the world and the busy crowd knows how to party.
Some of the most renowned places for nightlife in Bangalore are Big Brewsky, Hangover, LOFT38, Black Rabbit, Hard Rock Cafe, and many more.
Nightlife in Chennai:
Chennai at nighttime becomes a place for a party or celebration. Same as Bangalore there’s not much difference.
Soon after midnight, you will see a lot of pubs, discos, bars, nightclubs becomes active.
Now, Chennai has quite a lot of famous places where you can party and enjoy drinks and also some more places where you can enjoy some midnight snacks as well.
The several attractions include a Bollywood night, retro night, karaoke night and a ladies’ night to name a few.
Enjoy the best tequila shots along with the shades of blue in the various Elegant Lounge, Multi-Cuisine Restaurant, Jazzy Disco Club, and Late night hubs.
Although there are numerous options to choose but, strict law and order system restricts the after-dark party scene in Chennai.
Many of the bars and nightclubs are closed soon after midnight but still few of them manage to stay open a little longer than the stipulated time.
The dress code is to dress neatly and not in shorts, singlet tops, or scruffy attire.
Many of the clubs allow only couples which means that singles are not allowed.
Some of the famous bars in Chennai for an awesome nightlife experience are Leather bar, 10 Downing Street, Zara’s Tapas bar, Q Bar, Pasha, etc.
Shopping In Bangalore & Chennai
How can one ever return from a holiday empty handed?
It is imperative to bring back a part of that place so that you can keep reliving the experiences you had.
Shopping in Bangalore:
Go, shopping in Bangalore. Bangalore is famous for its silk sarees, scarves, and other fabrics.
Shopping at Brigade Road and Commercial Street is the thing you will remember throughout your life.
While shopping, go buy some of the best technology-based products, fabrics, and of course find something from its history and culture.
There’s so much to buy from Bangalore. The vibrant streets markets and malls of this city have almost everything that you can think of purchasing.
Moreover, the street shops are a girl’s best friend as they offer the best variety of clothes as well as accessories at the lowest price possible.
And, Yes! Do bargain if you are there in the busy street markets.
Places like Commercial Street is a paradise for street shopping in Bangalore.
Other like the Chickpet market, Jayanagar shopping complex, Brigade road, Majestic market, National market, Hongkong Market, and Burma Bazar are some of the well-known shopping destinations in Bangalore.
Shopping in Chennai:
If Bangalore has its items of Karnataka for you to buy then, Chennai has all about Tamil Nadu showcased in its vibrant market places all around the city.
Some of the famous items you could shop for in Chennai include leather bags, footwear, crockery, toys, pure mulberry silk garments, jewelry, stationery items, South Indian delicacies, music accessories, and of course a lot more.
A heart-warming city like Chennai has a lot to offer to almost everyone. Just like Bangalore, Chennai is another alternative destination for shopaholics.
The best place in Chennai that can give you the South Indian Tamil Nadu vibes is the Thyagaraya Nagar (T. Nagar) market of Chennai.
T. Nagar is the most important hub for shopping in the city. This is best known for its sari store, jewelry shops, and street marts.
Another important place for shopping is the Pondy Bazaar. This is well known for purchasing some trendy clothes, footwear, mobile phones, and accessories.
There’s a lot more for shopaholics. Some of the popular shopping destinations of Chennai are the George Town market, Ritchie Street market, Kottivakkam market, Nungambakkam for luxury shopping, and many more.
Places like the Phoenix Market City Mall is one of the best shopping places in Chennai.
Otherwise, there are a lot of famous shopping outlets in many parts of the city. You can also include areas like Mylapore and Parry’s corner, which are similar to that of T.Nagar.
Bangalore vs. Chennai: A Quick Comparison
Bangalore vs. Chennai: A Quick Comparison
|Best Time to Visit||Winter (October to February)||Winter (November to February)|
|Region||Capital of Karnataka||Capital of Tamil Nadu|
|Weather||Cool & Pleasant||Hot & Humid|
|Main Economy||IT Industry||Fishing, IT and financial companies|
|Budget Trip Cost||₹ 900 per person per day||₹ 1,000 per person per day|
|Luxury trip Cost||₹ 4,800 per person per day||₹ 7,000 per person per day|
|Area||709 sq. km||426 sq. km|
|Population (2011)||8.5 million||7.9 million|
|Location Type||Landlocked city||Coastal|
|Adventure Activities||Present (Parasailing, dirt-biking, etc)||Present (Scuba-diving, surfing, etc)|
|Night-life||Decent till 1-2 am||Decent till 1 am|
|Traffic||High||Moderate to high|
|Standard of Living||High||Moderate to high|
Which one is a good place to live in: Chennai or Bangalore?
There is not much difference between the two cities. Both have their own culture, vibrancy, and importance.
Some people love Bangalore, while others love Chennai. Both are unique of its own kind.
Both the cities have ample career opportunities and educations options which makes it an attractive option for living.
In terms of lifestyle, Bangalore is better than Chennai because Bangalore is more cosmopolitan compared to Chennai. The standard of living for citizens who are living in Bangalore is also significantly high.
From an economic point of view, if you see, Chennai seems to a more calm city than Bangalore. For long-term settlement, Chennai seems to be the better bet as the cost of living is fairly low as compared to that of Bangalore.
If we talk about the climate and weather conditions, then it is well to know that Bangalore follows relatively cool and comfortable weather throughout the year. But, Chennai has a dry hot and humid type of climate throughout the year. The days are blazing hot during the summers.
Bangalore has all that you need to live your lifestyle and moreover, the climate in Bangalore remains awesome throughout the year as compared to Chennai.
So finally, if you ask me, I would choose Bangalore as a good place to live in.
CONCLUSION: Bangalore or Chennai: Which is the overall best place?
The final and short answer is both Bangalore and Chennai is the overall best place. Both stand equal to their own type.
Something that you will find in Bangalore, can’t be seen in Chennai. And what you will find in Chennai, can’t be seen in Bangalore.
If Bangalore is a landlocked area then Chennai is a coastal area.
If Bangalore has various hill stations, pilgrimage destinations, and tourist places of Karnataka. Then, Chennai has its nearby various hill stations, pilgrimage destinations, and tourist places of Tamil Nadu.
If Bangalore is a cosmopolitan area, Chennai is too. If Bangalore is the pride of Karanataka, Chennai is the pride of Tamil Nadu.
So, if you ask me which is a good place to live in, Bangalore or Chennai? I will simply answer, “It’s Bangalore”.
But in case, if you ask me which is the overall best place, Bangalore or Chennai? I will simply give you a straight forward answer, “Both are good and unique to their own type. Both of these places are equal, unique, and overall best”.
Hope! I got you cleared.